Skip to main content

Emotional Support

It can be helpful to seek emotional support from confidential resources to process an experience and its impact, explore options and resources, or consider support that exists on campus and in the community. Individuals can connect with these resources at any time and do not need to report to law enforcement and/or the University to access these resources.The list of resources below is not intended to be an exhaustive list, and other support may be available depending on the individual’s circumstances and needs. 

Individuals can learn more about their specific options by contacting any of the resources listed.

On-Campus Resources

ComPsych Employee Assistance Program Service (EAP) | Remote | Confidential | | 24 hours / 7 days a week  

  • EAP Website | Phone helpline: 877-314-5841 
  • This resource is for all permanent employees and members of their household are eligible to receive three free counseling sessions per concern, per year, for as many concerns as needed. These benefits remain available to former employees for up to six months after leaving the University. 
  • Examples of emotional support: individual consultations and counseling; online resources; referrals for legal services; referrals to resources. 

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) | On Campus | Confidential | Monday- Thursday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 – 4 p.m.; Friday 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 – 4 p.m.

  • CAPS Website | Phone: 919-966-3658
  • Located in the James A. Taylor Building, 3rd floor (320 Emergency Room Drive)
  • To connect with CAPS for the first time, you may drop-in during the times specified above for an initial assessment 
  • This resource is available for all students and Postdoctoral Fellows who pay the current term Campus Health fee. For part-time and distance-education students, this fee is not automated in your tuition and fees. To receive services, contact Patient Accounts to request the fee be added and your eligibility for care updated. Spouses of degree-seeking undergraduate students, graduate students and Postdoctoral fellows can receive care at Campus Health and CAPS. Spouses who pay the Campus Health Fee for the term can use Campus Health and CAPS once they show proof of insurance along with proof of their marriage or a notarized affidavit of domestic partnership. To learn more about eligibility, please review Campus Health’s Frequently Asked Questions 
  • Examples of emotional support: Brief therapy; referral coordination to identify longer-term community providers; psychiatric services and medication management; group therapy.  

Gender Violence Services Coordinators (GVSCs) | On Campus | Confidential | Monday- Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

  • GVSC Website | GVSC Email | Phone: 919-962-1343
  • Located at the Sonja Haynes Stone Center Suite 101 (150 South Road)  
  • The GVSCs are available to meet by appointment only, with the exception of specific drop-in hours hosted in the LGBTQ Center. You can call or email to schedule an appointment.
  • This resource is available to students (undergraduate, graduate, professional and doctoral students), employees, and post-doctoral scholars.  
  • Examples of emotional support: space for individuals to discuss experiences of gender-based violence and harassment and the impact their experiences have. This may include exploring and identifying needs and available support, brainstorming self-care strategies, and/or providing psychoeducation about the spectrum of gender-based violence and harassment, consent and trauma responses. 

University Ombuds Office | On Campus | Confidential | M – F 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. 

  • Ombuds Website | Obmuds Email | Phone: 919-843-8204 
  • To schedule a meeting, you may email or call the University Ombuds Office.  
  • This resource is available to students (undergraduate, graduate, professional and doctoral students), employees, and post-doctoral scholars.   
  • Examples of emotional support: impartial, informal, and independent space to discuss any campus issue, problem, or dispute; help identify and evaluate options and resources; referrals to resources on campus and in the community. 
  • Watch this video to learn more about the services the Ombuds Office provides.

Off-Campus Resources

Compass Center | Off Campus | Confidential | 24 hours / 7 days a week

  • Compass Center Website | Phone helpline: 919-929-7122 
  • Location: 210 Henderson Street, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 
  • This resource is available for individuals impacted by domestic/dating/relationship violence in Orange County, NC.  
  • Examples of emotional support: 24/7 phone helpline; support groups; court accompaniment. 

Orange County Rape Crisis Center (OCRCC) | Off Campus | Confidential | 24 hours / 7 days a week  

  • OCRCC Website | Phone helpline: 919-967-7273, Text helpline: 919-967-7273 | Online Chat
  • Location: 1229 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 
  • This resource is available for individuals impacted by sexual violence in Orange County, NC 
  • Examples of emotional support: 24/7 phone, text, and online chat helplines; support groups; accompaniment; therapy services and referrals.