Assistance may be available to help pay for expenditures, including medical treatment, incurred as a result of sexual or interpersonal violence.  See the below for more information.  If you cannot afford support or medical treatment options or you don’t want to have charges filed through your insurance company, the Report and Response Coordinators, staff in the Office of the Dean of Students, and the Gender Violence Services Coordinators can help you access the resources below.

Survivor's Assistance Fund

  • Any medical treatment that a student survivor receives at either Campus Health Services (CHS) or UNC Hospitals Emergency Department may be paid for directly, by their own insurance, or by the Survivor’s Assistance Fund (renamed from the Victim’s Assistance Fund in 2013 by Student Congress). The charges for health care and services rendered are handled in a confidential manner.
  • This fund covers eligible medical procedures/treatments, mental health care, medication prescribed, and specialty services if indicated.
  • Any questions regarding the Survivor’s Assistance Fund can be directed to Carol Kozel, Director of Nursing Services at Campus Health Services. Email: Phone: (919) 966-6600

Student Emergency Fund

  • The Student Emergency Fund is a joint venture between the UNC Division of Student Affairs and the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid. The Fund assists Carolina students by providing immediate financial support when they need assistance with unexpected emergency expenses, including supporting victims/survivors of sexual or interpersonal violence. The Student Emergency Fund may be most useful if you have received treatment somewhere other than Campus Health Services or UNC Hospitals Emergency Department since the Survivor’s Assistance Fund discussed above may otherwise cover expenses incurred through these providers.
  • This resource is for students.

Graduate and Professional Student Emergency Fund (GPSF)

  • GPSF assists graduate and professional students at UNC-CH affected by unforeseen financial circumstances that could hinder their ability to complete their graduate career. Please review the eligibility criteria to see if your emergency needs qualify for funding or to fill out an application on the website. Students are encouraged to apply concurrently to the Student Emergency Fund when applying to the GPSF.
  • If you have any questions, please contact the GPSF.
  • This resource is for graduate students.

Employee Emergency Loan Program

  • The Emergency Loan Program was established to provide University employees with an alternative to borrowing money for short-term emergency situations. There may be occasions when emergency circumstances, defined as unforeseen, unplanned and unavoidable events, demand immediate attention and require an employee to secure funds on short notice. Examples of situations warranting the use of an emergency loan may include, but are not limited to: a family medical emergency, threatened foreclosure or eviction from a primary residence, emergency automobile repairs, or termination of utilities.
  • This resource is for employees.

North Carolina Crime Victims Compensation Services

  • Victims Compensation Services and the Rape Victims Assistance Program reimburse citizens who suffer medical expenses and lost wages as a result of being an innocent victim of a crime committed in North Carolina, including rape, assault, child sexual abuse and domestic violence. Other states have funding allocated for victims of violent crime.