Many students who experience sexual or relationship abuse are afraid to seek medical assistance because they lack insurance or they fear that it will show up on their parent’s insurance and prefer not to disclose the incident to them.  Any medical treatment that a student survivor receives at either Campus Health Services (CHS) or UNC Hospitals Emergency Department may be paid for directly, by their own insurance, or by the Survivor’s Assistance Fund (renamed from the Victim’s Assistance Fund in 2013 by Student Congress). The charges for health care and services rendered are handled in a confidential manner.  These funds are available to any survivor who is eligible for health care services at Campus Health Services, including undergraduate and graduate students, Post Doctoral fellows, and spouses of these individuals.  This fund covers eligible medical procedures/treatments, mental health visits, medication prescribed, and specialty services if indicated.

How do I donate to the Survivor's Assistance Fund?

Want to help student survivors at UNC-CH?  If you’re interested in helping support victims of violence, you can make a donation by credit card, check, pledge, bank draft or payroll deduction to the Survivor’s Assistance Fund. To donate, visit the Carolina Development website and select “Survivor’s Assistance Fund” or Fund #6378.

Where can I find more information?

For more information, please call Carol Kozel, BSN, RN, Director of Nursing, Campus Health Services at (919) 966-6600.